Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Check out this get-up...
I've never really been into St. Patrick's Day. I think I have a small amount of Irish in me but not enough to really matter. I'm not interested in drinking green beer and then posting drunk pictures all over Facebook like too many people do. And wearing green? I think that most people know better than to try and pinch me if I'm not wearing any.

But now I have kids, and it's time to have fun with some of these cheesy holidays.

So I invited my mom and sister over for an Irish meal in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Last night, I made Irish cream creme brulee and Irish cream truffle fudge. Today, I baked cheddar and onion Irish soda bread and cooked a huge pot of Irish chicken and dumplings. (For the record, shredding the chicken was very disturbing for me. My poor vegetarian self had a difficult time ripping flesh apart, even though it was cooked. But enough of that.)

My meal was a success. I think this will be a new tradition for us.

Owen and Logan loved seeing their favorite aunt again! As usual, she came bearing gifts from her travels. She is finally home from her 66-day South American voyage and we enjoyed visiting with her.

Chris even got into the Irish spirit. He volunteered to man the torch for the creme brulee. Actually, he pretty much insisted. Because what man doesn't enjoy playing with a little fire?

No comments: