Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cape Disappointment

We're home from three very long days at Cape Disappointment. Last Friday we went and picked our tent trailer up, came home and got ourselves packed, and took off at 6am Saturday morning. First things first, Chris ran the Beach to Chowder 10k in Long Beach. I'd planned on running the 5k but a couple weeks ago he mentioned that he'd like to run the 10k. With only one jogging stroller and no one to watch the kids, I gave up my spot and let him run. He did well and finished in the middle of the pack.

After the race, we drove a few miles south and found our campsite at Cape Disappointment. It took us about 15 minutes to get the trailer set up, which isn't bad for our first time. We spent the rest of Saturday lounging around the campsite.

On Sunday we drove into Long Beach and spent several hours wandering around the town. We checked out some of the shops, stopped for ice cream, bought a big bag of saltwater taffy, and walked along the boardwalk. I gave Chris one of his Father's Day gifts (a framed picture of our feet on the beach in St Kitts, where we celebrated our 5th anniversary last October). And that evening, I baked him a batch of cinnamon rolls in my new dutch oven. He said it was the best Father's Day ever :)

On Monday we walked to the beach by our campground. It's protected by huge rocks so it wasn't windy at all, and there were hardly any other people there which was very nice. We found a spot to ditch our stuff and while we were changing the boys' clothes, I noticed this guy napping about 20 feet from us:
As lazy as he looked, I decided it would be best to give him a little more room so we moved :)

The goal was to let the boys run around in some of the tidepools but nothing beyond that, but poor Owen wanted to run in the waves so bad. So we changed our minds and let the boys go for it. After all, it's not like they get to play in the ocean every day.
After hosing the boys off (our trailer has a heated outdoor shower that was worth every penny) we packed up and headed for home. I must say, I'm very happy we bought the trailer. I've always been stubborn about tent camping and how it's the only way to go, but it was so nice to not have any worries about rain or whether the boys were warm enough at night. And like I mentioned, it was SO nice to have that outdoor shower!
We plan on doing lots of camping this summer and fall. We're already looking into dates and locations for our next trip.

1 comment:

Gramma Nan said...

Look at all of the memories that you are building with your family. The boys will remember these days forever. Priceless!