We docked in Cozumel and then it was time for the big highlight of the cruise, my anniversary gift to Chris: scuba diving! We met with the dive shop operator and took a short taxi ride to the area where we’d be learning the basics. There were 14 people total and we went through a brief 30-minute classroom training session. We learned how to clear water from a mask while underwater, how to use the regulator (mouthpiece), how to read the oxygen level, the importance of popping your ears, how to use another diver's backup regulator, stuff like that. Before we knew it, it was time!
I need to back up for a minute. Chris and I have done LOTS of snorkeling all over the Caribbean and Bahamas, and diving is something we’ve always been interested in. But one thing has kept me from pursuing it, and that’s my claustrophobia. There aren’t a lot of things that scare me. I mean, I've swam with sharks! But tight spaces… yikes. Even thinking about a tight space will get my heart rate going. The ocean is by far not a tight space, but the idea of being surrounded by water with no direct source to fresh air was a big concern of mine.So I sort of fudged that part on the diving questionnaire (one question specifically asked if you’re claustrophobic). I didn’t want them to tell me that I shouldn’t go.
Finally it was time! Chris and I had our own instructor, Adrian, and we liked him instantly. He gave us fins and masks, and then it was time for weight belts and vests. Chris and I followed Adrian down into the water and we took a few practice breaths. No problem there. Then he told us to sink underwater and get our heads completely under. I did that, and after a couple of breaths my panic started to set in and I told myself “screw this!” I came back up, as did Adrian. “Everything okay?” he asked. I said, “I can’t do this. I’m starting to panic.” He asked, “Why?” to which replied, “I don’t like not having air.” In a very calm and no-nonsense tone he said, “But you have air. You’re just wearing it on your back.” He grabbed my hand and said, “Come on Mandy, you’ll be fine.” Before I knew it, we were underwater and swimming toward the bottom. (I later thanked him profusely for his tactic. Without being a jerk about it, he didn’t let me quit, and I really appreciated that.) One of the first things we saw was a small flounder, and then several lobsters hiding under the coral. Things we wouldn’t have seen if we were just snorkeling, because we would have been up at the surface.
We continued on and saw two golden sting rays, a 4-foot black eel, and hundreds of other things whose names are escaping me now. I’d been hoping for a nurse shark or two but we didn’t see any. After a while we were finished and made our way back up to the shore. What an awesome experience! They helped us take our gear off (that stuff is heavy… glad we both have backpacking experience) and handed us our cards stating we’d completed a shore dive. If we decide to go for the full PADI certification, this dive will count toward the 5 dives that are required. We’ve talked about getting certified for quite some time, so I guess it looks like we’ve got a decision to make.
We grabbed a taxi and headed back to the ship to clean up a little bit, then went back into town. My sister, being somewhat of an “insider” when it comes to ports, told us about a little-known bar to check out called the No Name Bar. It’s located inside the Hotel Barracuda in Cozumel and was within walking distance from the ship. It’s a crew hangout that not many passengers end up at, so it’s not full of obnoxious American tourists. Laura,
you were right! It’s awesome there… right on the water, palm trees, pool, swim-up bar, music, and crew from the ship taking a much-needed break. I had a margarita and Chris had a Corona. We watched the sun set and headed out for a little shopping. We picked up a couple of things for the boys and headed toward the boat. It was getting pretty windy out and Chris wasn’t feeling well (he couldn’t get one of his ears to pop while we were diving, so his equilibrium was a little messed up).
Once we were back on the ship, we attended an art reception. It was reserved for people who had purchased art, meaning the group was very small and exclusive. By this time we were becoming good friends with the art auctioneer and the other three who were working in the gallery. We learned a lot of things about several modern artists, and really enjoyed ourselves. Chris and I have always liked art but hanging out with “art people” is something new to us. I suppose we have reached a new level of sophistication.
After the reception: bedtime. Much-needed bedtime!
1 comment:
I am sooo glad to hear about your water claustrophobia. Maybe it's genetic on the Mohar side? My mom is that way, and so am I. Even snorkling terrifies me. But I want to be able to do that and scuba dive, so I am really happy that it went well. Maybe there is hope for me?
Post a Comment