(Pictures will be added soon.... just wanted to get this posted.)
We bought the boys several gifts but kept it simple between the two of us. Actually, we had a contest: get creative without spending more than $5. His homemade Caribbean map noting the islands we've visited together blew my gift out of the water (no pun intended). Very creative on his part.
When Owen saw his gifts, he thought it was his birthday! He started asking "How old am I now? How old am I?" He should know this already, because he's always proudly telling us that he will be 4 on his next birthday. But I guess the excitement of gifts made him forget. Luckily he wasn't disappointed when I had to let him know it was not his birthday.
Chris and I managed to get the kids to bed a little early and enjoyed a nice, quiet meal together. It was a very nice Valentine's Day.
And here are the birthday updates: my dad celebrated his birthday recently so we took him to lunch. Laura was scheduled to fly to Peru for work so we made sure to meet up before she had to leave. She suggested the new Five Guys Burgers, so we went there and liked it. The boys devoured the french fries, so I'm sure we'll head back at some point.
And we celebrated my birthday a couple of days ago. I usually prefer to keep it low-key on my birthday (kind of outgrew the "let's go get as drunk as we can" when I was about 22... why do so many people our age still seem to do that?). Chris and the boys gave me some nice gifts, and Chris made homemade lasagna. I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I think his was better than mine. Or maybe that means I've taught him well?
The best gift though, was the angel food cake he baked for me. My late grandma always baked an angel food cake for my birthday. She even continued the tradition while I was away at college. We'd pick a weekend, and I'd drive home from Ellensburg just for the cake. Even though she's no longer with us, someone still manages to bake my angel food cake for me. This year it was Chris, and he did a nice job. Of course, no one's cakes will ever be as good as Grandma's were, but I appreciate the effort more than anything.
And now we've got two more birthdays coming up... Logan in March and Owen in April!
No comments:
Post a Comment