Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Glass Blowing

I love glass. When I was in Venice, I can't even tell you how many glass shops I wandered through. There are so many of them, and I was in heaven. Lucky for me, Chris loves glass too. Last year, for Valentine's Day, I bought us a glass blowing session. But we never got around to doing it until (finally) today.
The studio was amazing. The employees were so laid-back and friendly, and the atmosphere was simply wonderful. They showed us several things that we could make, and we both chose glass floats. We figured we could float them in the pond, so we picked bright colors. I decided on orange and gold speckles and Chris went for red and orange swirls.

The employees led us to the furnace and we got started. They did most of the work but Chris and I got to participate a little bit, so technically we can say "we sort of made these". Our floats turned out so pretty and we can't wait to see how they look in the water! We will pick them up soon (the glass is heated to 2400 degrees and must be properly cooled, which takes a couple of days).
Chris and I had a great time and I'm so happy that we have this interest in common. We'd love to sign up for classes and do some more hands-on work. Oh, and because we are fun and super artsy, we named our pieces: Mine is Koi and Chris' is Ball of Flames. Haha.

No comments: