First thing we did Wednesday morning was find a place to camp. I have a few apps on my phone that I've used for camping in Washington and Oregon, but during the drive to Moab I bought a new one that ended up being the greatest thing ever. From previous research I knew that campsites in the Moab area fill fast, so finding a site was the first item on our list.
We turned down a highway that parallels the Colorado River and passed several nice spots until we found the place we wanted to stay. We pitched our tent on the bank of the river, and just across the water was the southern border of Arches NP. Amazing views.
We drove into town to pick up some more ice for the cooler. Moab is a great little town full of fun, adventurous people. Everywhere you turn, there is a bike shop or a river rafting operation. It's a little touristy, but overall it was wonderful and I would love to go back some day
After buying the ice, we drove back to the park entrance and took our obligatory picture:

We entered the park and the road began to climb. Before we knew it, we were surrounded by some of the most stunning rock formations we'd ever seen. And the great thing is, it just kept getting better the further into the park we got. We drove around for quite some time, meandering around and stopping off at certain areas to take pictures. We didn't begin hiking until 3pm or so, and our first trail was to see the Delicate Arch, the most photographed arch in the world. The trail was great.. about 3 miles, mostly on solid rock which felt like an oven in the heat. While it was warm, I was loving every minute of it. Finally we reached the arch, and it was truly magnificent. We sat for quite some time just staring at it. So amazing what Mother Nature can do.

The sun began to lower in the sky and people were starting to show up (lots of photographers actually) so we hiked back to the car. We spent a couple more hours driving around, taking short walks, and admiring the views.
We headed back to our camp, made dinner, and called it a night.
No comments:
Post a Comment