This week's photograph category is food. I've been sick and haven't been very interested in food lately (which is a bummer because I love taking pictures of food and had some good ideas). So, I cheated and snitched a picture from my archives. Doesn't that make me sound sophisticated? Anyway, my cousin Kelley gets credit for these fabulous melted snowman cookies she baked at Christmas. They were incredible (although to quote from her blog, "I was losing my will to live" when making them).

This week's recipe was White Chili. Something else I won't eat because of the chicken :) Saute 2 chopped onions and a couple of chopped garlic cloves in a tablespoon of oil until the onions become transparent. In a separate pot, combine 3 cups of chicken broth, 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 15oz can corn (drained, I used white), 15oz can butter beans (drained), and 15oz can great northern beans (drained). Add the onion/garlic mixture to the pot and bring to a boil. Add 2 cups of chicken, cooked and chopped (I grilled mine). Simmer for 20 minutes. Since Chris likes his soup/chili/stew thick, I actually let this simmer for a few hours. Garnish with chopped green oinions, chopped tomatoes and/or grated cheese. Chris loved it.
Notes: Simmering for longer than 20 minutes was the way to go. Chris actually thought it tasted better re-heated the next day. Easy to make, easy ingredients that I always have on hand (well except for fresh cilantro), very little mess to clean up.
Next time: I think I'll add another can of beans (pinto maybe?) and perhaps some chopped celery.
No comments:
Post a Comment