Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 3

I might make a separate blog for my weekly stuff. It's cluttering up my family blog. We'll see.

This week's topic was "self-portrait". So here is my self-portrait. Or maybe I should call it my extreme-close-up-half-face-self-portrait. Other than the nice bag under my eye, it's not a bad picture. I could have photoshopped that out, along with the sweet hair stragglers, but then it wouldn't be me.

Next week's topic: reflection. Ooooh. Could be interesting, considering what's in store for Chris and me next week.

This week's recipe was easy: baked teriyaki chicken. Something I've made a million times but this time I made the sauce from scratch. Dump the following into a sauce pan: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon cold water , 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Heat until it starts to bubble and thicken, stirring constantly. Brush the sauce over whatever dead chicken parts you desire (I used a couple of breasts) and bake at 425 for an hour, flipping them halfway through. Brush more sauce on every 15 minutes or so to keep them from drying out.

The good: Chris loved it. He loves everything I make. Either I'm really that good, or he's lying. He said the flavor was mellow and not over-powering. The next day I sliced the leftovers up and sent him to work with stir-fried veggies and rice. What a lucky guy.

What I'd change: For the love of God, I should have lined the glass dish with tin foil. I don't know what I was thinking. I had to soak the dish for 2 days. I'll also cover the chicken with foil next time, at least for the first half hour.

2 comments:

Auntie Cynthia said...

I love your self portrait Mandy! Frame it and gift it to your Momma!

Dawn said...

I ***LOVE*** this picture of you! You are so pretty, and this picture is truly perfect. I think I'm going to steal the idea of the pictures from you. Granted, I'm a little bit behind, but that's ok :) I love reading your blog. I miss you tons!