We packed the truck and trailer up and headed out Wednesday morning. We arrived about 4 hours later and found the campground. Remote and primitive, just like I like it! Of 43 spots, only about 10 were occupied so it was very quiet. Of course, we knew that people would be heading in for the weekend so we enjoyed the solitude while it lasted.
Wednesday and Thursday were overcast but the air was warm. We drove around the area and checked out nearby campgrounds to make mental notes of where we might want to stay in the future. We were happy to find that we actually liked our campground the best. We drove up to Timberline Lodge, which was built in 1937. Even though it's at the base of Mt Hood, the mountain wasn't visible so we chose to head back to camp.Friday morning we woke up to sunshine! I headed straight for the water's edge since it was smooth and spent an hour taking pictures.
We had breakfast and headed back up to Timberline Lodge to wander around. There were so many people skiing. I've never tried it but was very tempted because it was so warm and sunny. I know.. my family has a cabin at Crystal Mountain and I've never skiied. Chris told me to go for it if I wanted, but changed his mind when he remembered that we've got Ragnar in a couple weeks. Can't risk a knee injury!Friday afternoon and boys and dogs were ready to hit the water. We took them down to the lake and they played for over an hour. Owen didn't want to get out and kept asking to go back for the rest of the day.


Later that evening, I was able to sneak away and hike alone for an hour. I watched the sunset and enjoyed some rare quiet time to myself.We woke up to more sunshine on Saturday. We broke our camp down and came home along the Mt Hood Scenic Byway. We drove along the Columbia Gorge to check out some potential campgrounds for later this summer. I've always wanted to try my hand at windsurfing... maybe this will be the summer I do it! We drove past Multnomah Falls but didn't stop because it was crowded. We'll check it out next time.
The trip was great and I hated coming home. I could easily spend weeks in the Mt Hood area. Oh, and my Dutch oven skills are really coming around. We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast twice, and I roasted red potatoes and onions one night and made vegetable stew another night. I was going to try baking cookies but didn't get around to it. Next time I'm making homemade mac-n-cheese. I might have a kitchen in the trailer but old fashioned camp cooking is the best :)
So long, Mt Hood! And a random tidbit... we saw 4 mountains during our drive home: Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainier :)
No comments:
Post a Comment