We're home from a few days at Mount St Helens. He headed out around noon on Wednesday and took the scenic route (aka not I-5) to Seaquest State Park. Camping with the trailer is almost becoming too easy, to the point that I'm constantly thinking I'm forgetting something. Packing is supposed to be a pain, but it's so easy now. Just food and clothes. And not a lot of food, just perishable stuff. Because I already have a stash of food in the trailer.
We found our campsite, got situated, and headed out for a walk. The campground has a small play area so we let the boys run around for a little while. Then we walked across the highway to Silver Lake and walked along the trails. After putting in a couple of miles, we walked back to the trailer and ate. Owen kicked the soccer ball around and Logan played in the dirt until it was time for them to head to bed. Chris and I started a small fire and eventually went to bed ourselves.
Thursday was Mountain Day. Before heading to Johnston Ridge, we headed into town to pick up a couple of things (citronella... forgot how bad the mosquitos can be at Seaquest!). Before long we were driving up toward the mountain. Owen kept commenting on how the mountain looks broken and that the top fell off. He kept asking if we could fix it. I love how he thinks Mom and Dad can solve all the world's problems!
By the time we reached Johnston Ridge, both boys were asleep. Chris and I jumped out and took a couple necessary pictures but honestly, we've been there enough to where we ewren't heartbroken to not stick around. You can only take the same pictures so many times, right? So we got back into the truck and drove to the South Coldwater Lake trailhead. I had this brilliant idea that my kids would be able to handle a 6-mile hike. Yes, I know that sounds dumb and I knew that we probably wouldn't last, but I thought maybe I'd get lucky. The boys ended up lasting 2.5 miles which was good enough for me. Logan even hiked a half mile all by himself. Maybe we'll complete it next time.
By the time we headed back to camp, it was time for dinner. We had grilled chicken, rice and beans, and soon after we finished we built another small fire. The boys hung out with us for a little while before heading to bed. Chris and I weren't too far behind them.
Friday morning we had a quick breakfast and packed oureslves up. We pulled out around 10am and started to make our way home. We stopped at Cabela's and wandered around for a little while and picked up a few things. Love it there!
So we've got another camping trip to add to the list. And I just realized that we've camped at three different mountains this summer, which makes me want to add Adams to our list. Our trailer continues to be a very worthwhile investment! It's so much easier with kids (and no worries about rain). We're heading out on another adventure soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment