Chris and I celebrated our anniversary at the Melting Pot in Tacoma tonight. Our anniversary was actually two days ago but in Cop World you don't always get to celebrate big occasions on the correct days.
My sister came over to stay with the kids. Logan was already in bed so Owen got a few hours one-on-one with his favorite aunt.
Chris and I always joke around with sarcastic phrases like "uh, tell me why I love you again?" and such. Tonight, I jokingly asked him to name five things that he loves about me. I was expecting him to give smart-ass answers but to my surprise he answered my question seriously. Here's what he said:
1. You're not an idiot. There are a lot of stupid people out there, but you're not one of them. There's no way I could be married to an idiot. (It's true, there are many idiots in the world and Chris has no problem pointing them out.)
2. You get things done. You've got a lot of things keeping you busy (kids, house, yard, volunteer work, gym, HOA duties, etc), but you always manage to get everything done.
3. You can motivate yourself. You don't need anyone to help you get started with something.
4. You're a good driver. (This might sound like no big deal but if you know Chris, you know this is a huge compliment.)
5. You're a good mom. You keep our kids happy, clean, fed, entertained and healthy.
Ahhhh, it was so nice to hear him tell me how perfect I am! Then I realized that it was only fair to name five things I love about him, so this is what I said:
1. You're a good dad. There are many good dads and there are many poor ones. You are very hands-on and you're lots of fun. I could go on and on.
2. You can fix anything. And I mean anything. We've never had to call a repairman out to the house. In the 15 years we've been together (wow, has it been that long?) I've only had to take my car to a mechanic once. And it's not because you couldn't fix the problem, it's because you just didn't have time.
3. You are very complimentary of my cooking, which makes me feel good. No one likes to hear that they bombed in the kitchen.
4. You travel with me. You share my love of adventure and trying new things. I'm still so proud of you for jumping off that rock in Belize with me, even though you don't like heights!
5. You don't make fun of my big ideas. Some of my ideas are pretty outrageous and will probably never happen (farming hops). Some of my other ideas are equally outrageous but could very well happen (climb a bunch of Fourteeners in Colorado). Either way, you don't squash my dreams.
We had a great night together. And we still have lots of celebrating to do: as I mentioned recently, Chris' gift to me is a week in the Caribbean. My gift to him: we're going scuba diving! Can't wait :)
No comments:
Post a Comment