Monday, December 19, 2011

Blue Visitor

For the past two days, we've had a little (actually a big) visitor in our back yard. This blue heron has been snooping around our pond, checking out the food supply:
We let him stick around long enough to get a couple pictures, and then we purposefully scare him off. Herons are very pretty, and I certainly love seeing one up close. But when he's checking out my 14-inch koi (we have several around that length, plus about 50 comets)... I'm not interested in losing my fish.

I just scared him off again. Both times he's been here, the dogs have been in their fenced area on the side of the house. I'll start putting them out in the lawn more often, and hopefully their presence will keep the blasted bird away. Otherwise we might have to look at putting netting over the water.

Don't get me wrong: I love birds! I just love my fish a little more.

1 comment:

Little Blessings said...

I also know they can be misery on the bottom of a pond and puncture the lining. I don't know what the bottom of your pond is like but I have known several people who have had to completely redo their ponds because of the birds.