Monday, April 16, 2012

Owen's 4th Birthday

Owen celebrated his 4th birthday in style! He's been counting down the days for over a month, and on Saturday morning he came into our room and announced "It's my birthday today! Now I'm 4!" We all went downstairs and his first gift was waiting for him. It was a brand new bike, to replace the one he recently outgrew. Chris opted to keep it in the box so that he and Owen could assemble it together. Owen loves helping his dad.

We had breakfast and hopped in the truck and headed for the Daffodil Parade in Puyallup. Owen had a lot of fun last year and we figured it would be a fun way to celebrate his birthday. The weather was perfect, and the boys were great during the 2.5 hour parade. We took their bubble guns, and the people sitting around us loved all the bubbles. We received so many nice compliments on how well-behaved our kids were, which is always nice to hear :)

Here is some proof that I'm raising my son right. He plugged his ears when the Rogers HS band marched past:(Puyallup and Rogers are big rivals, in case you missed it. Go Viks!)

After the parade, we headed home for an impromptu party get-together. My mom and dad had mentioned dropping some gifts by, so we coordinated to have everyone come over at the same time for snacks and birthday cake. The party lasted much longer than we thought it would because we were having so much fun!

And here is Owen's cake:A few days ago I asked what kind of cake he wanted, and he said "a gymnastics cake." As much as I try to accommodate my kids' requests, I really didn't want to make a gymnastics cake. So I asked for a second pick, and he said "trucks and loaders." No problem! I was able to put something together rather quickly, and I was thrilled with the end result. Best of all, the birthday boy approved of it as well. He loved eating the fondant rocks (ick).

Next week we will have a small party with some of his friends. We're having it at a gymnastics facility (hence the request for a gymnastics cake) and we're really looking forward to it!

No comments: