Thursday, December 20, 2012

Community Hay Ride

Our community hay ride was held tonight, and it was so much fun! I organized a hay ride last year for Halloween and it was a success, but I just couldn't get myself into the mood to do one this year. However, after receiving requests for another, I chose to push it to December and do a Christmas-themed ride.

I called on my trusty volunteer crew and we spent the last few weeks pouring over all the details. We used my driveway as the staging area, and set up tables with hot chocolate, cookies, and candy canes. Santa and his elves showed up for pictures, and my lights/music served as the entertainment while people waited. Two of my neighbors stacked hay bales on a flatbed trailer and decorated it with flashing lights... it was so festive seeing them drive up and down our streets! We did 4 runs total (about 30 minutes each) and I'd say we had around 80 people show up.
Chris had to miss out on the fun because of work, so my mom came up to watch the boys while I kept an eye on the festivities. I talked her into going on the hay ride too.. Logan fell asleep in my lap, so bedtime for him was easy tonight! It was cold, but dry. I have no idea how we got so lucky... it's been pouring rain and was even raining up until a couple hours before our event. One of our volunteers is a commercial pilot and has access to all kinds of weather data. For the last week, he'd been watching the weather like a hawk and kept insisting we would be fine. I had some serious doubts but in the end, he was right!

While I was looking forward to getting through tonight, I'm sad that it's over. The night was very magical, and my group of volunteers was so wonderful to work with. I hope they know that I'll be calling on them for future events!

No comments: