Logan was in the hospital Feb 3-9 with breathing complications due to RSV. On the morning of Feb 3 (Super Bowl Sunday) I took Logan to urgent care because I was worried about the cold he'd had. His breathing seemed labored and his heartbeat was fast. They tested him for several things and everything came back negative except for RSV. Which I'd never heard of. I was told to watch his fever and breathing and bring him back if he didn't improve in the next 48 hours.
I wish they'd told me that RSV can be extremely dangerous in little ones. But they didn't. So I went home thinking we'd just have a quiet day on the couch.
Later that evening, my mom came over to watch the Super Bowl. Logan had been denying food and drinks all day and I was starting to become worried about dehydration. His pulse was so fast that I was having difficulty counting. When he declined a popsicle, I called my friend/neighbor Michelle, who happens to be an ER nurse. She came over and assessed him, and after several minutes of pondering, she said "Mandy, if this was my child I'd take him to the ER."
That was all I needed to hear. My mom and I packed everyone up, dropped Owen off at my dad's, and headed to Good Sam. They bumped us to the front (great thing about having a little one!) so the wait was short. He was running a fever and his breathing was becoming increasingly labored. After lots of discussion between the ER doctor and on-call pediatrician, they decided to admit him.
Chris started making his way home, and my sister showed up at the hospital to sit with Logan so I could go home and pack a bag. Chris arrived at the hospital at the same time I did, and we both ended up spending the first night. At that time, we had NO idea that room would be our home for 6 nights.
Over the next week, I kept my Facebook page updated daily. The next several posts contain those updates along with the corresponding photos...
Our family has been battling a nasty virus and it hit the 2yo the hardest. Logan was admitted into the hospital last night (this picture was taken in the ER right after his IV was inserted) for breathing issues and dehydration due to RSV. He's so tough and we're so proud of how he's handling his stay here. Please keep him and our family in your prayers. Thank you to my mom, sister, and especially my friend Michelle for her knowledge and guidance.

No comments:
Post a Comment