Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Eve

It's New Years Eve and I'm home with the boys while Chris works. It would have been fun to go out and do something, but it's not the same when your other half can't be there. So I'm doing what I do best when it comes to holidays: pretend it's just a normal night.

And in honor of a new year, I'd like to share a gift I gave Chris for Christmas this year. He mentioned that he'd like a photo calendar for his locker. No problem, I figured I could toss that together in 15 minutes. I uploaded pictures into my Costco account and began creating a calendar. I added our birthdays in and was about to call it good, but it was missing something. It seemed boring. And it hit me: my blog!

I spent the next two evenings pouring over every blog post from the last three years, looking for milestones. I added them to the calendar along with the year they occurred (ie "Owen's 1st camping trip, 2008"). I sumbitted my order, and waited impatiently for Christmas to arrive.

Chris opened the gift and (he's going to hate me for this) the tears started flowing. He said it's the most meaningful gift anyone has ever given him. A nice little boost to my ego :) He's not the easiest person to shop for.

So friends, if you have kids and keep a blog or baby book of milestones, put a calendar together to look back on years past. And a random note: I'm looking at Jan 1 on the calendar right now, and it says "Owen's 1st kisses, 2009." A great memory to start the New Year :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time we visit the precinct, I'd like to see the calendar in person! Nice gift.

Amy said...

That is awesome! What a great, super thoughtful gift. This would be great for the grandparents as well!

Tante Cindy said...

awwww! Chris cried and that is so manly! I MEAN that~what a guy~! what a good Dad~