I ran my first 5k this morning. It wasn't a big deal... I didn't take a rooting section with me (I went alone), I didn't train much for it (bad, but I didn't care), and I wasn't even nervous (because I wasn't running to be competitive). However, I feel it's important to have some race experience before Ragnar.
Here are a few observations:
1. You're not a dork if you wear the shirt they give you. I thought about wearing mine, but was afraid that I'd be the only one. I'd say about half the participants were wearing theirs.
2. The right underwear is important. I had to rearrange myself a few times (I never really had that issue before). Next time I'm going commando. Serious.
3. Grown men running in Batman costumes are awesome.
4. Have a place for your keys. I didn't realize my pants didn't have a pocket. My sports bra has one in the back but I couldn't reach it without looking like a tool. So I tied my key to my shoe, which worked fine.
5. "Chariots of Fire" is a nice song to run to, even though it's cliche. I was feeling goofy last night and added it to my playlist as a joke, but ended up actually listening to it twice.
6. Parking uphill from the finish line is really bad. But it's Tacoma, and the only place to park was uphill.
My time was satisfactory, considering that I didn't train at all for this. My goal was to run without walking, but my underwear issue and a VERY tight calf muscle forced me to walk a couple of times. No big deal.
It was fun. I learned a few things. I am planning on running the Sound To Narrows and the Puyallup CityBlast 5/10k to help prepare for Ragnar. Chris and I are also doing the Tour de Pierce (a cycling event) and we've got our Mount St Helens climb in July. So we've got a lot of different activities to train for. Can't wait!
1 comment:
I would suggest Underarmour compression underwear. They are AMAZING for this type of thing or any work out. Unless you want to go commando : )
Great job! That is on my list of things to do but I can't get the nerve to do it. Silly I know!
Post a Comment