Mother's Day started out like this: Logan puked on me twice. Not just a little bit. A lot. We don't get a lot of puke around here, so I loved the timing of Logan's episodes. I guess it's just a reminder that moms never really do get a day off, even on Mother's Day :) We debated on calling the trip off, but Logan really seemed better after puking so we headed out.
We stayed at the state park just outside of town, and since it's still a little early in the season, we practically had the place to ourselves. I think there were two other families camping there. We got the trailer set up and headed out to drive around for a while. Owen really wanted to head to the beach, so we drove on the sand for a little while but didn't get out. We promised him that much of Monday would be spent at the beach.
We had a small dinner, and kicked the soccer ball around for a while. It was starting to get a little dark but we weren't really in the mood for a campfire, so we jumped in the truck and drove to
Moclips and back. By the time we returned to our campsite, both boys were asleep. We tucked them in and went to bed ourselves.
The boys were up bright and early the next morning. We had breakfast and drove out onto the beach. The boys couldn't get their toes into the sand fast enough! They ran out to the water a couple of times, but were happiest playing in the sand. Chris pulled our big kite out and tied it to the truck, and we set up our new sun shelter. We had quite a nice little set-up. The weather was absolutely perfect.. sunny, warm, and just enough of a breeze to fly the kite. For a second I almost felt like I was back in the Caribbean. Almost. We were missing a few things... palm trees, scuba gear, rum punch... :)
We stayed out for several hours. We headed back to our trailer to clean up and eat. Chris and
Logan laid down to rest so Owen and I walked back to the beach. We had the best time together, and it was just another reminder of how important it is to have one-on-one time with your kids. At one point I told him he could run ahead of me if he wanted. He started to take off but changed his mind and came back to me. "No, I'd rather just hold your hand, Mom," he said. I told him, "Aw Owen, I love walking with you" and he replied, "I love walking with you more." What a sweetheart!
Later on we took the boys back into town to play at the park, and soon it was time to head back to the trailer and get ready for bed. Chris built a campfire, and we had s'mores. We headed to bed after that and slept well after our long, exhausting day.
The next morning we were packing up and I said "I want to stay another night." Chris said that we could, but we ended up sticking with the original plan to head home. The big reason: I sold a massive amount of decals while we were gone and I was feeling a little stressed about getting caught up. (Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that I had my cell phone on while we camped. I only had it on for business purposes though. I guess I've found the first negative thing about business ownership... like motherhood, there are no days off.)
As always, we had a fantastic time and this was a great way to kick off the 2012 camping season. We'll head out again soon!
(By the way, my Mother's Day gift was awesome: two large heron statues for the pond! Thank you Chris, Owen and Logan! You guys are the best.)
No comments:
Post a Comment